Five Powerful Reasons to Eat Slower:
Can the act of eating slower change your life? Maybe so.
Our modern lifestyle is built around speed, but as a previous article pointed out, living the fast life may rob you of the good life.
The Slow Food Movement grew out of Italy, some two decades ago, to counter the encroaching fast food movement. But this is not just about slow-cooked, healthy food — it’s an entire lifestyle.
You may or may not be ready to switch pace in all areas of your life, but eating slower has several benefits that, overall, may pave the way to a more fulfilling existence.
What can you gain from slowing down at mealtime?
- Lose weight. Eating slowly gives your body the time it needs to register that it’s full, which curbs overeating.
- Gastronomic pleasure. You have to eat–why not make it an enjoyable experience?
- Improved digestion. Digestion starts in the mouth, so the more you chew, the less work your stomach needs to do.
- Reduced stress! No time to defrag and meditate? Let mealtime be your moment of mindful being.
- Connect with the people around you.